RSS

Another educational fad invades an American school district: Part 3 of 5

21 Aug

View as Single Page

Back to my old friend who wrote in his/her email, “Regarding curriculum, I just attended a depressing workshop. The three-day workshop was about the new Common Core Standards (CCS). The first two days of the workshop were good. I learned about why the CCS was developed, and I also learned more about the CCS in the primary grade levels. It’s worthwhile to know what standards your students were exposed to earlier in their educational career.

This is an ad from the company that developed and sells Synced Solution

“However, on the third day of the workshop, I discovered that my district signed up for a software program called Synced Solution. Synced Solution maps out the daily standards for every day of the school year. Then, our teacher grade level teams mapped out the objectives for every day of the school year. Synced Solution represents the first step in lock-step teaching; moreover, my district [meaning elected school board members and district administrators] thinks it represents the Holy Grail of teaching.”

“My colleagues and I still have some control over the short stories we want to cover with our students but not when we teach them. Synced Solution even has us doing a full-day of teaching on the first day of school when I am telling my students where to sit (seating chart), taking my students on a room tour, and having them interview each other. I do class building on the first two-days of school, which this new program does not account for. Also, I cover a lot of grammar in my class, which is mostly absent from this program.”

Continued on August 22, 2013 in Another educational fad invades an American school district: Part 4 or return to Part 2

View as Single Page

_______________________

Lloyd Lofthouse is a former U.S. Marine and Vietnam Veteran.

His latest novel is the award winning Running with the Enemy. Blamed for a crime he did not commit while serving in Vietnam, his country considers him a traitor. Ethan Card is a loyal U.S. Marine desperate to prove his innocence or he will never go home again.

And the woman he loves and wants to save was trained to kill Americans.

To follow this Blog via E-mail see upper right-hand column and click on “Sign me up!”

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , ,

7 responses to “Another educational fad invades an American school district: Part 3 of 5

1. Shannon M. Howell

August 21, 2013 at 05:22

Reblogged this on Shannon M. Howell and commented:
    I haven’t watched the video, but the text was frightening enough with the school year around the bend. This impacts the future of reading, writing, and education. Please take a look.

• Lloyd Lofthouse

August 21, 2013 at 07:22

When school district administrators and politicians (mostly elected school board members) take the passion out of teaching, why teach? I think every teacher in this country should refuse to teach (stage a protest walk out) when school districts do what this school district is doing. I shudder to think what it would have been like to teach with this sort of program hanging over my neck like a beheading blade.

Political Correctness in the United States must stop blaming teachers for children who are incapable of learning or refuse to cooperate in the classroom. The blame must be put on lifestyle choices and poor parenting practices. For example, a recent study [that compiled data from more than sixty studies] pointed out that drinking sodas loaded with sugar and chemicals creates moody/angry children. Other studies have revealed that too much sugar consumption leads to faulty memory function between short term memory and long term memory short circuiting the process due to the overload of glucose in the bloodstream. Another study shows that drinking milk leads to fat in the brain rotting just like milk spoils because the fat in milk is the wrong kind of fat for the brain. Then there are the studies that show the most important meal of the day is a nutritious breakfast that feeds not only the body but the brain. Yet, most American children do not eat breakfast or get the required 9 or more hours of sleep daily.

All of this hampers a teachers ability to teach and a child’s ability to learn. But nothing seems to be changing and the one constant is blaming teachers for something they have no power over—what goes on in the child’s home.

And because few if any in the United States are putting the blame where it belongs, why should parents who need to improve, work harder at being parents? After all, it is never their fault that their child/children aren’t reading or learning.

2. irishsignora

August 21, 2013 at 06:26

Good heavens. One of the considerations in our decision to homeschool was our increasing concern that teachers are no longer allowed to teach (I was a teacher before I left the profession to raise and educate our children), but are being rapidly reduced to automatons that spit out exactly what the educrats think children need to know — and not one whit more. Common Core is a train wreck.

Peace be with you,
    Kelly

• Lloyd Lofthouse

August 21, 2013 at 07:13

Studies show that home-schooled children tend to perform better [by a small margin] on standardized tests than the national average. I think the reason for this is because parents who value education enough to sacrifice and teach their children at home are more dedicated as parents than most.

For example, I taught a student who was home taught until he turned 14 and wanted to be around teens his own age. His parents came in and talked to the school counselor and asked her to put her son in classrooms with the toughest teachers on the campus. Keith ended up in my 9th grade English class. He was a great student and I recruited him into my one journalism class. As a senior, he became the editor of the high school newspaper. After high school, he served in the US Navy and then went into broadcast journalism. Last time I talked to him, he was anchor for a network news station near Palm Springs, California.

3. Lara Wetzel

September 13, 2013 at 04:39

I’d want more posts like this one. All of my teachers were great. Teachers do not deserve to be treated the way they are in America. It should be a crime.

• Lloyd Lofthouse

September 13, 2013 at 07:37

I agree. It is a crime to blame teachers, and I’m working on new posts that show how great most teachers are.

• Lloyd Lofthouse