School choice is a shell game, a con, don’t believe anyone or anything else.
South Carolina remains a disturbing subset of the larger education reform movement effectively dismantling but not improving pubic schools, institutions that have historically and are currently failing vulnerable student populations who need public opportunities more than anyone.
Charleston is now the battle ground over expanding charter schools and embracing the already failed turnaround or takeover models that many early adopters in other states are ending.
The public version of the debate has included the following:
- Beware of ‘turnaround’ school districts (see compilation of research at the end)
- Beware of privatizing public education, Millicent Brown and Jon Hale
- Momentum grows for Charleston education, Anita Zucker and Ted Legasey
- Brentwood and Burns make public schools work for kids
- Don’t trust ‘free market’ reforms for public schools, The Rev. Joseph A. Darby
Beyond the specifics of the issues of this debate about takeover policies and charter school expansion (and the implications of privatizing public…
View original post 288 more words