Decades of research now reveal that charter and private schools do not produce student achievement superior to existing public schools.
Since politicians and education reformers are fully committed to charter and private schools, we have reason to be optimistic that existing public schools now provide the market pressure necessary for charter and private schools to improve:
- Public school provide community-based education guaranteed to all students in that community, rendering the need to choose or wait for that choice to create the sort of education children deserve unnecessary.
- Public schools by law fully serve English language learners, high-poverty students, minority students, and special needs students—those students under-served and even denied access to charter and private schools.
- Public schools seek and foster experienced and certified teachers.
- Public schools respond to local control and directly to tax-payers those schools serve.
- Public schools are committed for decades to the communities they serve.
- Despite often…
View original post 88 more words