I have never had a high opinion of the New York Times and now that opinion has sunk lower into the mud of murky, filthy, manipulating. biased, misleading journalism.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who watches the watchers?), Juvenal, Satire VI
On January 21, 2020, Annie Murphy Paul’s “review” of Diane Ravitch’s Slaying Goliath appeared in TheNew York Times. Being reviewed in the Times is a big deal. Such a review affects public opinion and sales. That’s why a hatchet job in the Times on a truly important book is irresponsible.
In her new book, education historian Ravitch presents a recent history of the popular resistance to an “Education Reform Movement” led by billionaires interested in
- privatizing U.S. PreK-12 education via charter schools and vouchers,
- foisting upon the country a single set of national “standards,”
- busting teachers’ unions,
- selling depersonalized education software, and
- evaluating students, teachers, and schools based on high-stakes standardized tests.
Here’s Ms. Paul’s opening salvo:
“She came. She saw. She conquered.”
This opening is, of course, an allusion to the boast about his role in…
View original post 3,161 more words